- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 12 ounces asparagus (1 large bundle) bottom of stocks, removed
- 4 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 jalapeño, top and seeds removed
- 10 fresh tarragon leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen peas (2 cups yield ~10 ounces)
- 1 tsp Salt + 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup cashew cream (can also use plant-based milk, just won’t be as creamy)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 1–2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional // for a slightly cheesy flavor)
- 1/2 medium lemon (optional // juiced // for brightness)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, add trimmed asparagus, quartered onion, garlic cloves, tarragon, and jalapeño. Toss with avocado oil.
- Add all ingredients to the baking sheet. *See Note
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, turn vegetables. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are done, reserve 8 asparagus tips. Then and add remaining ingredients to a blender with the peas and half of the vegetable stock. Be sure to hold the blender lid when blending as the heat and pressure can build, and the top will fly off. (It’s happened). When mixed well, add purée to a dutch oven over medium heat. Then add remaining stock, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and cashew cream. Simmer until warmed through. Finish soup with lemon juice. Taste for seasonings.
- Serve with croutons and asparagus tips.
*I like to stack my tarragon and garlic pieces on top of the asparagus to keep them from having direct contact with pan. It helps to prevent them from burning.
- Serving Size: 4 cups
- Calories: 298