This bowl is so delicious and satisfying. It’s sure to become a staple in your culinary repertoire!!!
***You will want to make the watermelon ahead of time, either the day before or at least 4-6 hours before use.
****To save time, aioli can and should be made ahead of time.
Compressed Watermelon Poke:
- 2 lbs of seedless watermelon, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 Tbsp Coconut nectar, (or other vegan sweetener such as agave syrup)
- 1” cube of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 whole lemon zested, and 1/2 juiced (should be about 1 Tbsp of juice)
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (or other soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1 tbsp wakame, or kombu (this is optional, but definitely builds the flavor profile)
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp vegan sugar
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1–2 Tbsp sriracha (depending on heat preference)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/8” slices
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise, (I used a mandolin set a 1/8″)
- 1 carrot, julienned (or, you can buy carrots pre-shredded)
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 10 oz bag edamame, cooked according to package directions
- 2 Tbsp Togarashi spice mix for edamame, (or, 2 tsp red chili flakes)
- French fried onions (optional)
- Black sesame seeds
- Lime, sliced into 6 wedges
- d all ingredients except the oils to a blender and blend on high speed until mixed well. Turn blender down to low speed and slowly add the oils until combined.
- Add watermelon to a vacuum bag and compress using a vacuum sealer, sous vide machine or the ziplock method. Compress watermelon and seal the bag. Refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 4-6 hours.
- Rinse rice very well under cold water, until water runs clear, about 2 minutes. This step is essential. Shake until almost dry.
- Cook rice according to package directions. I used my Instant Pot to cook the rice, and it works well.
- Add wakame to rice and water before cooking. Again, this is optional but highly recommended.
- While rice is cooking, add rice vinegar, sugar, and sea salt to a small saucepan and cook on medium-high heat until the mix reaches a soft boil and sugar and salt have fully dissolved. (You can also microwave).
- When rice is done cooking, spread evenly onto a baking sheet and let cool—drizzle rice with sushi vinegar.
Combine all ingredients in a measuring cup and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When ready to assemble, remove watermelon from the bag and reserve liquid.
- Add rice to a bowl and divide watermelon accordingly.
- Add spice mix to cooked edamame.
- Divide avocado, onion, edamame, cabbage, carrots, and cucumber between bowls and drizzle with reserved liquid and aioli.
- Top with black sesame seeds, french fried onions, lime wedge, and scallions.
Keywords: Vegan Poke, Watermelon Poke