No eggs needed! The starchy potatoes when combined with the flour make the eggs unnecessary!
- 2 large potatoes peeled, grated and squeezed dry (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon fine sea salt), plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided, for frying
1. Using a food processor with a coarse grating disc, grate the potatoes and onion. Transfer the mixture to a clean dishtowel and squeeze and wring out as much of the liquid as possible.
1. Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Scoop 1/2 cup potato mixture into skillet and use a spatula to flatten and shape the drops into discs. Repeat. Fry patties 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Cook remaining latkes in batches of 2, adding 1tablespoon of oil to skillet each time.
2. To drain, transfer latkes to wire rack on top of baking sheet lined with newspaper. Sprinkle with salt while still warm. You can also place latkes on pan in oven to keep warm. Serve with vegan sour cream or applesauce!