This oil-free vegan queso is ready in less than 15 minutes! So yummy, you can add as much or as little heat as you want by skipping the jalapeños or doubling them up! Enjoy!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, if not using high powered blender
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I use Oatly oat milk)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp tapioca starch (for a gooey consistency)
- 1–2 tsp salt
- 1 (4 oz) can pickled jalapeños with juice
- 1 can tomatoes with green chili’s, like Rotel
- Dash turmeric for color, if desired
- Warm a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp vegetable stock and onions. Sauté onions until done and translucent, about 7-8 minutes. Remove onions from pan, and add to blender. Add all remaining ingredients except the Rotel tomatoes, if using. Blend until very smooth. If using a Vitamix, about 45 seconds on high.
- Transfer to a saucepan and put on the stove over medium-low heat. Heat until desired consistency, continually stirring so as not to burn the bottom.
- Taste and add extra salt if desired. Pour vegan queso into a serving bowl and stir in the 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeños and drained can of Rotel if using. Garnish and serve.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge about 5 days. When reheating, add additional unsweetened plant-based milk, if desired, to thin to desired consistency.
You can use chicken broth instead of vegetable if you’re not vegan.
- Serving Size: 12
- Calories: 101
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: Vegan Queso Blanco